Week One – 2.21

Experience Rating: Rookies
Location: Las Cruces, NM. 1,263 miles behind us

“ReWIREment, not Retirement.”

Glennie Bowland, Vero Beach

Signaling a time to calm down…think differently. We have not mastered this yet…but perhaps an agenda crammed with “Things To See in x Location” is not required. Following are positive (Aha!) and challenging (Uh-oh) moments from this week on the road.

Finding The Beauty – Aha! (photos below)

• Detouring to Crystal Springs, north of Tampa gave us a moment to bid the manatees goodbye.
  • The Blue Dog Cafe in Lafayette, LA, has walls adorned with George Rodrigue paintings, a favorite artist. His subject is Tiffany, the ghost dog.
  • Dancing to Wilson Savoy and The Pine Leaf Boys at La Poussiere, a Cajun dance hall in Lafayette, filled my heart with joy. “Laissez les bons temps rouler.”
  • Being awed by the spectacular Carlsbad Caverns. No words can describe this sight. O Mon Dieu!

Uh-Oh Moments

• Overpacking. After downsizing, and filling a storage unit in Vero, we stuff the Audi with necessities and belongings. LOTS of belongings. One week in, I look longingly at Goodwill drop-off as we drive by. Lesson Learned: Thin it out…find Goodwill.
  • Seeking picturesque spots for our daily picnic lunch saves cash, but foiled by 43 degree days, drizzle/rain, closed city parks. Lesson Learned: Any parking lot will do.
  • Driving through the unending state of Texas only got worse when we reached Pecos. The road between Pecos and Carlsbad is excruciatingly slow, ugly with litter and oil fields, and the trucks do a number on the road. Lesson Learned – Never Again.
Crazy talent!

13 thoughts on “Week One – 2.21

1. Chris McCormick March 7, 2019 — 3:47 pm

What a kind person you are to take us with you on your journey my wonderful friend. It was wonderful seeing your beautiful face with the gentleman in the band. I’m wondering if you sang a duet? Thank you so much for mailing me your beautiful card and letting me know you’re on your way. Have the best journey ever and I can’t wait to hear what’s going on next.

1. Marlene and Steve March 7, 2019 — 10:45 pm

Oh, Chris. Thank you for following us. To your question of the photo with the Cajun keyboardist, Wilson Savoy….no duets. He was kind enough to chat with us for a few minutes. We are deep in Baja (Loretta) today, but not yet at our final destination. About 20 hours of driving so far, and a ways to go.

2. West Texas is a truly dystopian landscape, but I have found a few gems: A rest stop (I-20, both east- and westbound) SW of Wickett, TX, has a workstation with WiFi and plugins, warm (in the winter) and clean restrooms, and two tornado shelters. It has historical plaques about a B-17 and B-29 training center located nearby during WWII. Monahans Sandhills State Park (I-20) is an oasis among the flare stacks dotting the flats. Also, I always get 20mpg or more towing the trailer through West Texas. Once you get through the grotesque, you are rewarded by the Davis Mtns (McDonald Observatory, Davis Mtns State Park) and the Guadelupe Mtns. You must take your joy however it appears.

1. Marlene and Steve February 23, 2019 — 3:08 pm

Good advice! The Guadalupe range was so tempting.

2. Linda and Erich March 3, 2019 — 9:59 pm

That’s the adventure…not knowing what is coming next!

1. Marlene and Steve March 4, 2019 — 12:44 pm

Tomorrow will tell. 420 miles. Two places to fill gas. We hope.

3. Excellent summary and beautiful photos!

1. Marlene and Steve February 23, 2019 — 3:09 pm

I appreciate your encouragement, fellow nomad!

4. Loved you pictures and narrative. Keep on having a great time.

1. Marlene and Steve February 23, 2019 — 3:10 pm

Thank you! I appreciate your support, my friend.

5. Beautiful pictures. Lots of miles traveled in one week. 👍

6. You guys!! We can’t wait to see more of this. PS, Marlene I know it’s your writing the “lessons learned”. Years of tabletop exercise habits are hard to break 😉

1. Marlene and Steve February 23, 2019 — 3:15 pm

Oh my friend, some things stay with you.

Comments are closed.

ESL Ventures

Teach ESL and Travel the World

Endless Roaming

Australian Traveller that loves to "Roam" our globe, creator of ENDLESSROAMING.COM sharing the experience through word and photography. Currently working on Sydney Harbour in a recent career change from the IT industry. Feedback / questions are more than welcome, happy travels

Diary of a Gen-X Traveler

Traveling to experience places not just visit them!

Just Passing Through

Travel and change of place imparts new vigour to the mind . . .

On The Road-Marlene & Steve

With No Forwarding Address

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close