Experience Rating: Rookies
Location: Las Cruces, NM. 1,263 miles behind us“
“ReWIREment, not Retirement.”Glennie Bowland, Vero Beach
Signaling a time to calm down…think differently. We have not mastered this yet…but perhaps an agenda crammed with “Things To See in x Location” is not required. Following are positive (Aha!) and challenging (Uh-oh) moments from this week on the road.
Finding The Beauty – Aha! (photos below)
- Detouring to Crystal Springs, north of Tampa gave us a moment to bid the manatees goodbye.
- The Blue Dog Cafe in Lafayette, LA, has walls adorned with George Rodrigue paintings, a favorite artist. His subject is Tiffany, the ghost dog.
- Dancing to Wilson Savoy and The Pine Leaf Boys at La Poussiere, a Cajun dance hall in Lafayette, filled my heart with joy. “Laissez les bons temps rouler.”
- Being awed by the spectacular Carlsbad Caverns. No words can describe this sight. O Mon Dieu!
- Overpacking. After downsizing, and filling a storage unit in Vero, we stuff the Audi with necessities and belongings. LOTS of belongings. One week in, I look longingly at Goodwill drop-off as we drive by. Lesson Learned: Thin it out…find Goodwill.
- Seeking picturesque spots for our daily picnic lunch saves cash, but foiled by 43 degree days, drizzle/rain, closed city parks. Lesson Learned: Any parking lot will do.
- Driving through the unending state of Texas only got worse when we reached Pecos. The road between Pecos and Carlsbad is excruciatingly slow, ugly with litter and oil fields, and the trucks do a number on the road. Lesson Learned – Never Again.